Date Oat Bars
- About 2⁄3 cup dried dates, coarsely chopped (use part raisins, figs, as desired)
- 1⁄2 cup KNUDSEN organic apple juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 11⁄4 cup BOB'S RED MILL organic oats
- 1⁄2 cup BOB'S RED MILL organic whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- TIERRA FARM organic dark chocolate chips, as desired
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease 8" by 8" pan. In crock pot or sauce pan, slowly heat together dried fruit and apple juice until the fruit is soft. Mash together to a uniform consistency. Set aside to cool. Blend in egg. Mix together oats, whole wheat flour, cinnamon and baking powder. Add dry mixture to fruit mixture, adding more apple juice if the mixture is too dry. Add chocolate chips as desired. Spread mixture into pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out dry.
Makes about 12 bars.